Friday, February 27, 2015

RIP Leonard Nimoy.

It has been reported this morning that Actor Leonard Nimoy has passed away at 83. Mr Nimoy of course is most known for playing the world's most famous alien Mr Spock on Star Trek.



Usually I'm not one to remark on actor or celebrity death, but this is different. Mr Nimoy was the one who portrayed my childhood hero. And I say this completely without irony, Mr Spock was the only fictional character that I truly consider a hero. True, while there where other Characters that I liked, such as Han Solo, Spider-Man, and Superman. Spock was the only one that I looked up to. My love of Spock led to my love of Star Trek and by extension science fiction.  Also since Spock was the "man with the plan" and that plan was science, Nimoy's Spock a fictional character  he did more to interest me in science than NASA, Mr Swensen*, and Carl Sagan combined. Even if it was just movie science. And I'd like to think without Leonard Nimoy's skilled portrayal of this inimitable character. I would not be saying any of the things that I said above.

I did not know Leonard Nimoy. And it's odd to grieve for someone who is barely more than a complete stranger. But his work has affected me in a profound way. However there are those to whom Mr Nimoy was Father, husband or friend and I ask in closing to give a good thought or prayer, whatever is your wont, to them. Because for them, more profoundly than it could ever be for me, he will be missed.



*my 8th grade science teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment