Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The inevitable Comic-con post.

Well I'm back, had my dehydrated sleep deprived first day, and now life is back to normal. I of course went to the Comic-con International in San Diego. And it was a blast. It's funny I've been going to this show since 2001 and with all of the changes and the ever expanding crowds I'm always waiting for the other shoe t to drop, when I'll come home having had a terrible experience but that's still never happened. Maybe if I hadn't grown up with the con that would be different.

So what did I do? well I went to my first TV panel, for the MythBusters on Saturday night, that was quite fun. I really admired how Adam, Kari and Tory actually did their own handouts when people where in line. I'd experienced lines before at Comic-con, sometimes to no avail, but this was the first LINE I ever was in, we had actually given up but after meeting Kari Byron and realising that it was only twenty minutes to panel we figured "what else are we doing" It was a fun panel and we got to learn things like what's the most embarrassing question (who' Kari with) what was their favourite explosion (the water heater) and what myths would they like to do but the insurance won't let them (nuking the fridge).

I also went to see the thirtieth anniversary panel for Love and Rockets. The Hernandez Bros comic series has been a favourite of mine for some time, and it was great to see a talk by all three brothers. The panel included a belated awarding of the inkpot award to forgotten Hernandez bro Mario.

As well as the few panels I went to, I also took part in the Dr Horrible's Sing Along Blog Singalong which is always fun, took in a performance of the nerdcore band Kirby Krackle. And was in the audience for a recording of a Kevin Smith Podcast Fatman on the Batman, in which he interviewed Batman: the Animated series producer and designer Bruce Timm.

Most of my time I spent in the exhibit hall where I met some of my favourite Comics artists (some of them for he manyith time) and admired cosplayers. Amongst the artists I met where Terry Moore whose Rachel Rising is a current favourite, Jaime Hernandez, Jamal Igle (of whom you'll be seeing a video interview soon), Bernard Chiang, Adam Warren, Bruce Timm, Frank Cho, J. Scott Campbell, and some of my favourite guy's Reed Gunther's Shane and Chris Houghton.

Oh and I nearly puked in my mouth when i saw the line for commission pickup for Rob Liefeild.

I can't say I really had any complaints about the con this year. But I do have to praise one thing. Comic-Con got rid of the unfriendly and useless  Elite Event Services. I had grown quite displeased with the staff over the last couple of years and it was good to see them go. In their place was not one but two staffs one for the exhibit hall and one for the rest of the center. I found that plus a staff of friendly volunteers efficient and as pleasant as a group of people looking after a large crowd can be.

Overall I really enjoyed Comic-Con 2012, and if the new pre reg system works out in my favour I hope to keep enjoying the con for the first time in years I don't feel like that shoe will drop any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment