Thursday, November 15, 2012

Seriously! Really!

A Warning the subject I'm going into is one that probably will make it hard for me to keep my normal polite scholarly tone so I may get a bit colourful in my use of language from here on out.... 



Well I'm making my blog rounds Tuesday morning I head to one of my favourites the informative and fun DC Women Kicking Ass and I see this

It Can be seen in context here apparently Tony Harris is a Comics Artist, I don't know him or any of his work, but what I do see here is the tired old Fanboy bullshit of "Cosplay girls aren't real fans."  And it makes my piss boil that this opinion is so damn prevalent on the Internet from fans and professionals.

This gets to me because I have been going to and working cons for over a decade and I have found the truest most hard core fans out there are typically Cosplayers. Think about it for a second these Women and Men Show their affection for a fictional character by making costumes, sometimes working themselves into shape to wear them, and them finally don the often hard to wear costume in public. Then While wearing said costume, they get constantly stopped for pictures and sometimes even stalked, but they still do it anyway. Now who's the real fan 

Now it can be said the pictures are part of being a quality Cosplayer, "and they know what their getting into". true I'm not doubting that, or that there can be a bit of a need for attention from some Cosplayers. It's not the pictures that I'm getting at but, Let me give you an example. When I go to Comic-con International it takes me close to a half an hour to get across the exhibit hall at a leisurely pace. now imagine that, but, being stopped every four minutes or so for a picture. Even if you refuse there still is the time it takes to refuse. I'm just asking for a little bit of empathy here. But once again despite this the Cosplayer still practises their art. If that's not fandom I don't know fandom.

Another thing is costumes based on superhero comics are hard to wear. Often having zero to no function for simple things like going to the bathroom.+ So if a Girl was just there for attention why go to that much trouble? there are much easier ways for a girl to just Get attention at a Comic Con.

But that said OK say a girl is Just there to get attention from let's see how did Mr. Harris put it.
"...average Comic Book Fans who either RARELY speak to, or NEVER speak to girls. Some Virgins, ALL unconfident when it comes to girls..."
What a Charming way to talk about you're fans and customers, but I digress. Let's say that all of these accusations about these women's dedication to their fandom is true, it's not, but let's play a mental exercise here. What if they are just fake fans out for attention. And here's the important part.
 WHAT THE FUCK DOES IT MATTER! 
Really how does this hurt a Comic convention in any fucking matter. I'm there to have fun, You're there to have fun and they're there to have fun. Who is losing. And don't start on the geek culture is eroding away argument. A Comic Convention is a supposed to be fun and if you're fun is eroded by a pretty girl or anyone for that matter not knowing as much about Spiderman++ as you then, buddy you need a new hobby, cause the problem isn't with her.

Of course her is the key word here isn't it. Notice how you never see any complaints about male Cosplayers. I'm not one to throw around accusations of sexism freely, but let's face it that's what this is. I doubt sincerely that any man who has attended a comic convention had ever been asked if he was a real geek. But this whole business of she can't be a geek 'cause she has tits has to stop. Women like comics too. Deal with it.
I'm getting really sick of this Fanboy elitism that has taken a hold of The internet. I grew up a fan I understand that to be a little too into Comics, or Star Trek or the like made you a bit lonely when you where a kid I really do. But you know what! I would have loved to have more people to talk about geeky things with, and I would have literally killed for any of those people to be girls. So now that I do have that I love it. So I can't understand why these folks on the internet want to keep people from liking what they like. It makes no sense to me at all. 
So basically what I'm getting at is it's a Con we're all there to have fun. Have fun
Sorry that was a bit more ranty than I like but I had to get that out. 
+met a guy dressed as Nightwing in the line for the loo at Wonder-con and he explained that he basically had to strip to go to the bathroom. And Nightwing is a simple Superhero costume.
++ I know it's Spider-Man not Spiderman. I just wanted to piss you off if you're that bad of a Fanboy. 

1 comment:

  1. Ha, nice one. A female geek is a beautiful thing! :)

    (not just saying that because I married one.)

    ReplyDelete